Saturday, March 14, 2009

A New Generation of Learners

I think I am the "in-between" generation--somewhere between the typewriter and the iPhone. I am desperately trying to learn new technologies, and to understand how they relate to what teachers need to support learning. I'm having an Etherpad conversation with some folks at my school, and it always comes down to time. Time that we have committed elsewhere, for learning that was taught from the teacher to the students. One delivery method, very linear. Lots of paper, lots of handwriting.

What is it? Learning the skills to teach these NDM (new digital media) skills. It’s about self-study, self-direction, independent learning infused with collaboration.

Now, I might be going out on a limb here, but it is true. There simply isn't enough time to catch up and keep up with technology. There never will be. So, what do we do?

I say we come out of our comfort zone and give it a go. As awkward as it may feel, the children are counting on us to be their guidance. Fumbling or not, we can make a difference.

The children don't need perfection, they need direction. NDM is here for now. Let's just do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let's hear your brain...